Chemistry is a mechanic exclusive to Ultimate Team of the Fifa Series. The amount of chemistry is determined by a number of key aspects prior to a game and it has a huge effect on a teams performance.
A lack of chemistry can affect an entire teams performance. It may prevent players from making vital runs off of the ball. Players with a lack of chemistry which are not being controlled tend to stray out of position. This makes defending particuarly difficult. It is also believed that a lack of chemistry can cause shooting in front of goal to become poor, as well as passes not travelling in the intended direction. It also has a substansial effect of Goalkeepers, which tend to fail to properly handle balls and not make crucial saves.
Chemistry is determined by the following:
- Position of the player. A player in the correct or similar position to there preffered position gains chemistry. A way to tell if a player likes the position they are playing in is by looking at the colour of the boot at the bottom right of the player card.
- Formation of the player. A player in the correct or similar formation to the actual formation being played gains chemistry. The effect of this can be seen by looking at the colour of the icon at the bottom left of the player card.
- Player Nationality. Players which are nearby players of the same nationality gain chemistry. Lines link towards players who are surrounded by players of the same nationality.
- Player League. Players which are close to other players of the same league also gain chemistry. Lines link towards players who are surrounded by players who are in the same league. It must be the exact same link (e.g, players in Npower League One will not link with players from Npower League Two at all.)
- The Team of the Player. Players which are close to other players of the exact same team also gain chemistry.